Thursday, July 12, 2007

Re-grets

Today was pretty amazing. The institute is definitely getting more intense, in a good way. We actually had a straight-forward old-school LECTURE. No bells, no whistles, no audio-visuals. Kind of interesting, although I am clearly spoiled.

We also had a discussion of credibility in journalism that was poignant. The professor pointed out that journalistic credibility has declined since 1985... yes, and my students were born in 1991. They don't find anything credible--not journalists, not teachers, not their parents. Although they lack independence and basic life skills (some of them), they don't believe that the generation above them has any knowledge or ability. I find their cynicism charming, in some ways; irritating in others.

We went to KOMU, the TV station owned by Mizzou. THAT was fascinating, and filled me with regret. I could've taken a job at WNAT/WMIS when I was 15; I could've worked in radio (yes, I have a face made for radio), I could've learned to produce TV news. There's no good reason for why I didn't do that--I just didn't like country music, and I was afraid of being on Franklin Street alone at night. It was a fearful time in Natchez, right after Bobby Irby's murder... but that's no excuse.

I love what I do now, and I wouldn't want to trade my time at Olsson's for anything; I played Suzanne Vega's guitar, for goodness' sake! Today, though, I did play alternative universe in my head for a little while.

No comments: