Sunday, July 8, 2007

Life is a highway...

It was hard to stop in Columbia, once I finally got here. It's weird to stay on one Interstate for so long, just driving ever westward. I crossed a skinny Mississippi River and played my road trip soundtracks (more later). I tried to take pictures and send them mobile-ly to the blog but that's not working for me right now.

Road Trip 2007 Soundtrack
Careful-Guster
Route 66--Chuck Berry (I was only on it for a moment)
Sugar Cane --Mary Gauthier
Down at the Twist & Shout --Mary Chapin Carpenter
Stolen Car -- Patty Griffin
Beer Town--Session Americana (St. Louis, obviously)
Everybody's Talkin' -- Madeline Peyroux
Haven't I Been Good -- Katryna & Nerissa Nields
Brother Lee -- Citizen Cope (both sides of the Mississippi)
River -- Madeline Peyroux (the only version I have on CD)
Into your Arms -- Lemonheads
People Look Around -- Catie Curtis
Money for Floods -- We're About 9 (the quintessential Missouri song, by Richard Shindell)
Tomorrow Night -- Jennifer Kimball (written by Patty Griffin)
Amaze Me -- Girlyman

I played Carrie Newcomer all the way through Indiana, knowing that sense of place shapes her songs, looking for the places. Early Sunday morning, though, light traffic, a good front door--I wasn't in Indiana very long.

I will be blogging what I can of the Institute. There's a woman I should remember from LSU but I don't, and a woman who teaches at Natchez High--can't wait to pick her brain. Hopefully tonight will be mostly social and I can start learning names!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey-

You'll have to teach me how to set up my own stream of consciousness blog page-easier than emailing everyone all the time!

Glad that the drive was fast & fairly traffic-less.

Why no 80s music on the drive??

:)

I'll be checking every other day or so to see what's happening at the home of scholastic journalism.

PS: you have GOT to try the Giada DiLaurentiis nutella with toasted hazelnut cookie. OMG!!